tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 31 19:40:41 1997

RE: Phrases

January 30, 1997 10:19 PM EST, jatlh ~mark:

> >> Not bad, although I don't know if it's legal to stick conditionals in the

> >> middle of a law'/puS sentence.
> >
> >I've seen entire {-meH}-clauses in there, but I don't suppose they were
canon.
> >~mark, vuDlIj yIghaqneS.
>
> vIlajqanglaw' jIH.  Maybe because we need all the help we can get in
> getting stuff we can use with that strange law'/puS construction.  I don't
> recall canon either, though.  But isn't that sentence about drinking fake
> ale and drinking water in a law'/puS form?

It was

tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS.

This does not vary from the basic law'/puS form.  It simply adds a purpose
clause before the entire sentence (or possibly adds a purpose clause modifying
the noun {HIq}, but that seems unlikely to me).

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level