tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 30 19:08:52 1997

Re: Phrases

>Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 00:27:06 -0800
>From: Irene Gates <[email protected]>
>
>jatlh SuStel:
>
>> [...] jatlh T'Lark:
>
>>> My entry:
>>> muSHa'lu'chugh 'ach lujlu'chugh, ghu' QaQ law'; not muSHa'lu'chugh,
>>> ghu' QaQ puS.
>
>> Not bad, although I don't know if it's legal to stick conditionals in the
>> middle of a law'/puS sentence.
>
>I've seen entire {-meH}-clauses in there, but I don't suppose they were canon.
>~mark, vuDlIj yIghaqneS.

vIlajqanglaw' jIH.  Maybe because we need all the help we can get in
getting stuff we can use with that strange law'/puS construction.  I don't
recall canon either, though.  But isn't that sentence about drinking fake
ale and drinking water in a law'/puS form?

>from Tennyson's _In Memoriam A.H.H._, canto 27.
>
>   I hold it true, whate'er befall;
>   I feel it, when I sorrow most;
>   'Tis better to have loved and lost
>   Than never to have loved at all.
>
>Here's a quick go (i.e. neither metre nor rhyme is perfect) at a translation, in
>which metrical considerations prevail over aggressive overtones ...
>
>   reH jI'IQqu'taHvIS, vIbuS;
>   qaS nuq 'e' jISaHbe', teHlaw';
>   parmaq vIchIlchugh, ghu' QaQ law',
>   not vImuSHa'chugh, ghu' QaQ puS.

Wow, you really have a knack for this.  You have the question-as-object
construction which we're not so sure about, but that's not bad.  Then
again, maybe Hoch or vay' instead of nuq would be better.  It should be
vISaHbe', though, certainly.

>> [...] And Klingons like their love as they like their battle!  (Or so we're
>led to believe . . .)

In which case, maybe luj instead of chIl? :)

>toH!  QongDaqDaq Hegh luneH'a' tlhInganpu'?

Dying in action, eh?

~mark

Back to archive top level