tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 29 03:14:40 1997

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse

At 09:37 AM 1/27/97 -0800, you wrote:

>>Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:32:27 -0800
>>From: "Kenneth Traft" <[email protected]>
>>
>>Way back on 7/17/96, Mark Shoulson gave me some responses.  My computer was
>>down for 6 weeks a while back and I haven't been able to catch up with
>>everything.  I also lost some things.  I'm still trying to figure which
ends
>>up.  With many thanks to Mark I think it's ready.
>
>Glad to help!
>
>><<meppatlh(tm)>>
>>
>>tlhIngan  wo'Daq  patlh  Degh  chu'  'oH  <<meppatlh(tm)>>'e'.
>>SuqlaH  neH  tera'nganpu'!   wo'Daq  Dotlh'a'  Dachavbej  DaneHchugh   vaj
>
>Woops.  This is that "only" problem we're running around trying to work out
>again, isn't it?  I think that no matter what we wind up saying, "SuqlaH
>neH tera'nganpu'" is not right.  It means "Terrans merely can get it."  If
>anything, it's "SuqlaH tera'nganpu' neH".  'Iwvan, my head's so turned with
>this, what do you think?

To me, your example says "Terrans can only get it; they can't get anything
else." What if we said <SuqlaH tera'ngan ghaHbogh vay'>, or <SuqlaHbe'
tera'ngan ghaHbe'bogh vay'>?

>>***  tlhIngan  wo'Daq  <<meppatlh(tm)>>'e'  neH  Dalo'laH!
>
>This sounds like "You can use only meppatlh in the Klingon Empire."
>Shouldn't the neH follow "wo'Daq" to mean "only in the Empire"?

Whoa! <neH> being an adverb, does that mean it can modify prepositions,
too? I like the negation here, too <tlhIngan wo' HurDaq <<meppatlh(tm)>>'e'
Dalo'laHbe'>.

-HurghwI'

Back to archive top level