tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 28 15:26:10 1997

RE: KLBC - some questions

January 28, 1997 12:02 AM EST, jatlh Gerald Borleis:

> >pa'vam Da'el net chaw'be'.
> >You are not permitted to enter this room.
>
> I finally saw the difference and why to use <Da'> instead of <yI'> on <el>.
> I don't understand why <chaw'> doesn't take a prefix.  Can you explain
> this or point me to the right section?

It's {'el}, not {el}.  It may seem insignificant, but there's quite a
difference between, say, {maw} and {maw'}.  Also, the prefixes do not have
glottal stops.

In TKD section 6.2.5, it says that the second verb of a sentence-as-object
must take {'e'} or {net} as its object, and that {'e'} (or {net}) counts as
singular, third-person.   Thus, you can use any applicable prefix which
indicates third person, singular object.  However, since {net} indicates that
the second verb has an *indefinite subject*, the only possible prefix is the
null prefix.  Got all that?  :)

If you were using {'e'} instead of {net}, you could use other prefixes.  These
would be {vI-}, {Da-}, {wI-}, {bo-}, {lu-}, and the imperative prefix {yI-}.

> Which is better for <Go away>, <vaj yImej!> or <naDevvo' yIghoS>?

Literally, they are

vaj yImej!
So leave!

naDevvo' yIghoS!
Go from here!

They more or less mean the same thing.  Which one I'd choose in any given
situtaion would probably be subject to my whim.

> Finally. Does this all go together as:
>
> naDev bIvumbe'chugh Da'el net chaw'be'
> If you are not employed here, you are not welcome here.

When you use {Da-} in {Da'el}, are you thinking of some object?  {Da-}
indicates one.  What you want to do is to simply say "You enter," and leave
the matter of *what* you're entering general.  This prefix is {bI-}.

naDev bIvumbe'chugh, bI'el net cha'be'.

> Ultimately, I indent this to be the bilingual legal disclaimer for my
> workstations' login.

heh

--
SuStel