tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 28 02:45:17 1997

KLBC: Phrases

Here are a few sayings that I have picked up and (attempted) to translate.

The first comes from the Michael Crichton book called "Rising Sun".  It is
a Japanese saying:

noH 'oH malja'.
[Business is war.]

These are a few from various sources:

ghe''or 'oH noH.
[War is hell.]

waH noH.
[War is costly.]

waHchugh noH 'ej ghe''or 'oHchugh noH, vaj waHnIS ghe''or.
[If war is costly and war is hell then hell must be costly.]

mujchugh vay', muj 'oH.
[If anything can go wrong, it will.]

DaH \_Kansas_\Daq SoHbe'.
[You're not in Kansas anymore.]  This is a loose translation.  The best I
could come up with.

HurDaq bIjaH DaneH'a'?
[Would you like to step outside?]

DaHjaj nuqDaq bIjaH DaneH?   ... or ... nuqDaq DaHjaj bIjaH DaneH?
[Where do you want to go today?]  Okay, it's a little tacky, but I've been
wanting to actually sit down and translate this.

jImuSHa'pu' 'ej jIlujpu' 'e' vImaS. not jImuSHa'pu 'e' vImaSbe'.
[Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved.]  This one
is probably way off.  The closes "verbage" for love that I've come up with
(and I think I've seen it on the list) is |muSHa'|.  I really had trouble
with the concept of this one.  Of course, it's not very Klingon.

-----
BTW:  The "\" surrounds English words embedded in my Klingon sentences.
The "_" represents an underline to denote proper names.  The "|" acts like
quote marks.  We should try to come up with a set of conventions for these
sorts of things on the list that we all follow so we don't need to define
it when needed.  The ones I'm using (with the exception of "\") all work as
valid filename characters under Win95 so they work there as well.

--

:  Perry J. Brulotte
:  [email protected]

Back to archive top level