tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 27 21:01:10 1997

KLBC - some questions

SuStel:
Some question about your latest response.

>> yI'el net qachaw'be'
>> You are not allowed to enter.

>No, I'm afraid that's not it.  Let's go through the process.  Remember,
>sentence-as-object can be tricky until you get the hang of it.

>The first thing you need to do is to work out what the two sentences are.  You
>seem to have understood that part: they are "You enter," and "One does not
>allow that."

>"You enter."  This is a statement, not a command.  To say it, you say {bI'el}.
> I'd be a little more specific, and say {pa'vam Da'el} "You enter this room."

>The second part is "It is not allowed," which can also be written as "One does
>not allow that."  This indefinite subject is the reason we need to use {net}
>instead of {'e'}.  Therefore, we get {net chaw'be'}.

>Finally, we put the two sentences together.  Notice that we're not commanding
>anything, we're informing.  (If you wanted to command, which would be in fine
>Klingon style, you'd simply say {yI'elQo'} "Don't enter!")

>pa'vam Da'el net chaw'be'.
>You are not permitted to enter this room.

I finally saw the difference and why to use <Da'> instead of <yI'> on <el>.
I don't understand why <chaw'> doesn't take a prefix.  Can you explain
this or point me to the right section?

Secondly. Voragh writes:

>A tad bureaucratic, though. If you really want it to refer only to
>non-employees, another Klingon approach might be:

>naDev bIvumbe'chugh vaj yImej!
>If you don't work here, go away!

>The {vaj}, as usual, is optional. I think it sounds better with.

Which is better for <Go away>, <vaj yImej!> or <naDevvo' yIghoS>?

Finally. Does this all go together as:

naDev bIvumbe'chugh Da'el net chaw'be'
If you are not employed here, you are not welcome here.

Ultimately, I indent this to be the bilingual legal disclaimer for my
workstations' login.

Qapla'

Jerry

reH DuSIgh vavlI'