tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 27 22:45:31 1997

RE: Lost Klingon: ST6 & Uhura's Bluff

|January 26, 1997 11:29 PM, Voragh quotes Nichelle Nichols:
|
|> Forget the fact, which Trekkers would not permit us to do anyway, that
|> Kirk had known enough Klingon in the third film to get himself beamed
|> aboard a bird of prey.
|
|Actually, I always thought he just repeated what he heard Kruge say when the
|prisoners were beamed aboard.  In fact, Kruge says what sounds like {jol
|yIchu'}, and Kirk seems to say {cho nIychu'), which might go to show that Kirk
|really didn't know what he was saying, but that it would get him beamed up to
|the ship.
|
|SuStel

You know, this makes you wonder if actors pay *any* attention to scenes
they're not in! They certainly don't give them the same attention we fans
do. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, she may be remembering (10 years
after the fact) what the directors told her was going on in scene.

SuStel, here's the relevant extract from my transcript of ST3 which
supports your interpretation:

                    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

The translations in parentheses are the (subtitles) as they appear in the
movie followed by the [closed captions] in brackets, which was helpful in
places where there were no subtitles. I have added excerpts from Vonda N.
McIntyre's novelization which may reflect an earlier version of Harve
Bennett's screenplay used by the novelist in her adaptation.

Kruge:   matlh, jol yIchu'
          (Maltz--activate beam!)
          [Then he spoke into the communicator in his own language.
           Kirk did not understand the words, but it must have been the
           order to transport. (novel)]

Kirk:    matlh, jol yIchu'
          [Maltz, activate beam!]                        (untranslated)
          [MALTZ, JOL YICHU!]                         (closed captions)
          [He opened his communicator, muffled the pickup by rubbing
           his thumbnail back and forth across it, did his best to copy
           Kruge's low, harsh voice, and repeated the last words Kruge
           had transmitted. (novel)]

FWIW, here's what Paramount's Star Trek: Continuum's Klingon Database on
MSN has to say:

Cho'Echu
Klingon word meaning "energize," as in a transport beam, or "Bring me up."
More phonetically accurate if written as "jol yIchu'." (Reference: "Star
Trek III: The Search for Spock")

Voragh

Back to archive top level