tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 26 20:51:34 1997

Sesame Street

Recently,  [email protected] pointed out that

> In a magazine article referencing the Klingon language, it is mentioned that
> the Sesame Street
> verse "Sunny day, chasing the clouds away" can be translated (from literal
> Klingon) as "Day of the
> daytime star; the clouds are filled with dread and forced to flee". Perhaps an
> irresponsibletranslation, but how would one say "Day of the.....forced to
> flee"?

One will not be surprised to know, in case one doesn't already, that I was
responsible for this (I translated this while walking in North London, as a
response to a friend's challenge); if the text isn't available at the unupdatable
ftp.kli.org, it is available on my home page. The Klingon text is simply:

pemHov jaj
Haw'choHnIS 'eng 'ej Haj.

Sustel counterproposes, as rhyming,

> wovqu' jaj.
> chal 'engmey DIteqjaj!

Regrettably, it's unmetrical: the stresses fall on 'eng and teq.

The translation *is* irresponsible, but then, most good translations are :-)

--
Kai san swqhkan t' akriba piota,          N N O  n.nicholas@linguistics.
kai san plhsiaze pia h wra tesseres,      I I L    unimelb.edu.au  http://

Back to archive top level