tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 27 09:33:02 1997

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse

>Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:32:27 -0800
>From: "Kenneth Traft" <[email protected]>
>
>Way back on 7/17/96, Mark Shoulson gave me some responses.  My computer was
>down for 6 weeks a while back and I haven't been able to catch up with
>everything.  I also lost some things.  I'm still trying to figure which ends
>up.  With many thanks to Mark I think it's ready.

Glad to help!

><<meppatlh(tm)>>
>
>tlhIngan  wo'Daq  patlh  Degh  chu'  'oH  <<meppatlh(tm)>>'e'.
>SuqlaH  neH  tera'nganpu'!   wo'Daq  Dotlh'a'  Dachavbej  DaneHchugh   vaj

Woops.  This is that "only" problem we're running around trying to work out
again, isn't it?  I think that no matter what we wind up saying, "SuqlaH
neH tera'nganpu'" is not right.  It means "Terrans merely can get it."  If
anything, it's "SuqlaH tera'nganpu' neH".  'Iwvan, my head's so turned with
this, what do you think?

><<meppatlh(tm)>>  DaghajnISqu'!   <<meppatlh(tm)>>  Dalo'DI',
>Dungaqbej  <<qa'el  tuq>>,   'ej  Dutu'bej  Hoch!   lo'lu'meH  ngeDqu'

Somehow "tu'" doesn't sound right to me here.  Sounds more like "don't
worry about getting lost."  But that would be more Sam, right?  I don't
have a better suggestion anyway.  Except perhaps vuv?

>chay'  Qap?  vay'  Daje'   vaj   DeQmey  law  yIDIl  pagh  yInlIj  DaDIl.

That's "law'", not "law."  Also, "DIl" means "pay for", not "pay."  So the
credits shouldn't be the object of the verb.  "bIDIlmeH DeQmey law' tInob,
pagh yInlIj DachIl" perhaps?

>*** yIqaw:   qeylIS  neH  wIvoq,  nuDIlnIS,  DeQmey  lo'nIS  Hoch latlhpu'?

nuDIlnISmeH.  And why the question-mark?

>juppu'lI'  yIja'!   Daja'pu'mo'  nItlho'bej.

Isn't it great to get to use "nI-" now and then?  I remember it from an
early draft of the poem in the frontispiece of Hamlet.

>***  tlhIngan  wo'Daq  <<meppatlh(tm)>>'e'  neH  Dalo'laH!

This sounds like "You can use only meppatlh in the Klingon Empire."
Shouldn't the neH follow "wo'Daq" to mean "only in the Empire"?

~mark

Back to archive top level