tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 26 18:05:33 1997

Re: Klingon Honor

Continuing from my last post. What I want to know is simply this: what is
the difference between the nouns {batlh} and {quv}?

My first impression was that {batlh} refers to honor in the abstract -- the
entire set of behaviors the society as a whole agrees are honorable. {quv}
refers to someone's personal honor -- your reputation in the eyes of other
people and maybe yourself. It is {quv} that Klingons are obsessed by: your
{quv} can be besmirched, your {quv} must be rigorously defended (often in a
duel), your {quv} can be stripped from you by Discommendation, you either
have {quv} or you don't (Worf tells Quark, "You have no honor!" in this
week's "Looking for par'Mach..."). {pop} is simply an honor received - a
reward, medal, promotion, induction into the Order of the Bat'leth, etc. --
for meritorious service. (This one is the easiest to understand.)

However, on reviewing the canon, it seems that Okrand sometimes uses
{batlh} and {quv} interchangeably. Certainly to do something
"(dis)honorably" you use {batlh} as an adverbial, {batlh(Ha')}. Since he
took the trouble of coming up with two separate words, just how does he
distinguish between them?

Or have I just confused myself again?

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, I wrote:
> [...]
|  You will be remembered with honor. TKD
|batlh bIHeghbe'
|  You will die without honor. TKD
|batlh Daqawlu'taH
|  You will be remembered with honor. ST3
|batlh maHegh
|  [We die honorably.] CK (untranslated opening dialogue)
|batlh qaghojmoHpu'
|  It has been an honor to instruct you. CK
|batlh malja' DaHuq
|  You transact business honorably. PK
|Hoch DaSopbe'chugh batlh bIHeghbe'
|  Eat everything or you will die without honor. PK
|batlh qaghojmoH
|  It has been an honor to instruct you. PK
|tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'
|  [It] has been emblazoned upon the hulls of countless Klingon starships. SP1
|pIj maSuvpu' batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
|  In our many battles, we have fought with honor and achieved VICTORY!
|  (Hallmark)
|batlh bIHeghjaj.
|   May you die well.  TKW
|batlh ghob yIpab.
|  Adhere to virtue honorably. TKW
|batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'  TKW
|  An honorable death requires no vengeance. TKW
|
|batlhHa'  dishonorably (adv.) [IMO (HolQeD 4.4)]:
|batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
|  One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably. TKW
|Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh, pagh ghaH
|  SuvwI''e'
|  If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal, he is
|  nothing. TKW
|
|ghob  ethics, virtue (n.):
|qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
|  devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon
|  virtues. S13
|tlhIngan ghobmey paq
|  Klingon Book of Virtues [i.e. original title of TKW acc. to LC's MARC-CIP].
|pop 'oH ghob'e'
|  Virtue is the reward. TKW
|ghob tIvnISbe'lu'
|  One need not enjoy virtue. TKW
|batlh ghob yIpab
|  Adhere to virtue honorably. TKW
|
|pop  a reward, compensation, a prize of some sort (n.):
|pop 'oH ghob'e'
|  Virtue is the reward. TKW
|
|quv  be honored, high, supreme [TKD Add.] (vb.):
|naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
|  It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK
|bItuHlaHbe'chugh bIquvlaHbe'
|  If you cannot be shamed, you cannot be honored. TKW
|noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
|  In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW
|
|quv  honor (n.):
|quvwIj DatIchpu', tera'ngan
|  [You have insulted my honor, Terran.] PK
|batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
|  One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably. TKW
|tlhIngan quv DatIchDI' Seng yIghuH
|  When you insult a Klingon's honor, prepare for trouble. TKW
|quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh
|  A Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. TKW
|'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
|  Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW
|quv bey'
|  Honor Display KCD
|
|quvHa'ghach  dishonor (n.):
|quvHa'moH  dishonor (vb.):
|qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH vav
|  quvHa'ghach
|  The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for three
|  generations. TKW
|
|quvmoH  to honor (vb.):
|qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'. ghoHtaH je. tIv'eghtaH
|je. vaj SuquvmoH.
|  MSN Expert Forum BBS (MO to SuStel)
|
|quvqa'meH vIttlhegh  secrecy proverb (n.)
|  ("a proverb [for the purpose of] being honored again") IMO in HolQeD
|
|tIgh  custom, honor (n.):
|tlhIngan tIgh
|  "The Klingon Way" (title) TKW
|"You outsiders see only our fierceness, our love of battle. You do not see
|the tIgh, the honor, that shapes our every act." [Gowron in ST:Klingon
|novelization]
|
|vuv  to respect (vb.):
|qoH vuvbe' SuS
|  The wind does not respect a fool. TKW