tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 26 17:31:39 1997

RE: KLBC- Your not wellcome here.

January 26, 1997 7:52 PM EST, jatlh Gerald Borleis:

> yI'el net qachaw'be'
> You are not allowed to enter.

No, I'm afraid that's not it.  Let's go through the process.  Remember,
sentence-as-object can be tricky until you get the hang of it.

The first thing you need to do is to work out what the two sentences are.  You
seem to have understood that part: they are "You enter," and "One does not
allow that."

"You enter."  This is a statement, not a command.  To say it, you say {bI'el}.
 I'd be a little more specific, and say {pa'vam Da'el} "You enter this room."

The second part is "It is not allowed," which can also be written as "One does
not allow that."  This indefinite subject is the reason we need to use {net}
instead of {'e'}.  Therefore, we get {net chaw'be'}.

Finally, we put the two sentences together.  Notice that we're not commanding
anything, we're informing.  (If you wanted to command, which would be in fine
Klingon style, you'd simply say {yI'elQo'} "Don't enter!")

pa'vam Da'el net chaw'be'.
You are not permitted to enter this room.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level