tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 19 22:10:36 1997

-wI' names (was Re: Much Ado about *only*)

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Nicole wrote:

|While I've got your attention, I missed the end of the discussion
|about names you guys were having last month (or maybe it was the
|month before).  Could someone please tell me what you decided about
|having nouns and verbs in names and the -wI' suffix?  If you could
|tell me around when the discussion actally took place, I can look in
|the archives.  Thanks!

I believe the gist was that they sound somewhat awkward -- suited more for
descriptions than names. But the bottom line is that it's YOUR name, and
therefore your decision. Give it some thought, though, since people will be
calling you this for a long time. I think there's a section in the FAQ on
choosing a Klingon name you might want to take a look at.

|HovbejwI'
|(Would that make any sense, gramatically or otherwise?  I'd like to
|be something like astonomer but not exactly.)

To me it sounds more like "Star-gazer". The USS Stargazer was a Federation
starship and Picard's first command; maybe not the best choice for a
Klingon name. <g> But, if you're wedded to "astronomer", how about "Hovtej"
(lit. "star scientist"). Keep in mind that veteran Klingonist d'Armond
Speers goes by the name "Holtej" on this list and these may become
confused.

- Voragh

Back to archive top level