tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 16:12:01 1997

chaq jIjegh

Hmmm . . . this is interesting.  If we can trust what we're getting on MSN's
word-of-the-day site for Klingon, then read this:

Klingon: 'Ij
English: Listen
Phonetically -- "eedge"
Verb, to hear and pay attention to.

This is very disheartening to me.  Here, we get {'Ij} to be a *transitive*
verb, although the definition in TKD is apparently intransitive.  This may
seem wonderful to those whom I've complained about saying things like {qa'Ij}
"I listen to you," but we're starting to lose our grip on situations like
this.

Now, the *obvious* conclusion is that {qIm} must mean "pay attention to,"
right?  I certainly hope not.

But here's something else which has been bugging me.  There's an apparent
discrepency between certain MSN entries and TKD.  It's small, but:

TKD:
Hogh       week (Klingon) (n)

MSN:
Klingon: Hogh
English: Week
Phonetically -- "khoagch"
A unit of time equal to 7 Earth days.

So which is it?  A Terran week or a Klingon week?

Similar problems came up with

TKD:
DIS      year (Klingon) (n)

MSN:
Klingon: DIS
English: Year
Phonetically -- "dissh"
Block of time needed for the Earth to revolve once around the sun,
approximately 365.25 Earth days.

This is telling me that Klingons have a word for an Earth year?!?  I mean, I
know they've adopted 24 hour time, but really!

TKD:
jaj     day (from dawn to dawn) (n)

MSN:
Klingon: jaj
English: Day
Phonetically -- "jadge"
Block of time needed for Earth to rotate once on its axis.

Oh, come on!  This is silly!  I would have accepted "24 hour period" or "block
of time needed for a planet to rotate once on its axis," but this is
ridiculous!

Somehow, I just can't accept these definitions.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level