tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 18 09:49:38 1997

RE: chaq jIjegh

January 18, 1997 1:38 AM EST, jatlh Kenneth Traft:

> I believe that on the Conversational Klingon tape.  Measurements of time are

> equivelant to earth time (24 hours).  It's not that "far fetched" to believe

> that the other types of rotations are similiar.  Very coincidental, but not
> far fetched!

I can certainly accept that Klingons have adopted Terran 24-hour time.  That's
not hard to believe.  And the language associated with it makes sense.
"Seventeen-hundred hours" becomes {wa'maH Soch vatlh rep}, which is really a
word-for-word translation; something one might accept from a borrowed system.

But the point is not that Klingon planets have a similar rotational period to
Earth.  That's silly.  There's no way I'll believe they all have the same
rotational period and the same revolutionary period as Earth.  These planets
*have* to have their own local time-telling systems.  I've always believed
that entries in TKD like {Hogh} and {DIS} were referring to the calendar of
{Qo'noS} or some other Klingon planet.  They say "(Klingon)."  If Okrand is
really writing the text of these entries, then he's becoming very sloppy
indeed!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian