tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 18 19:53:05 1997

RE: chaq jIjegh

Qum SuStel:

|But the point is not that Klingon planets have a similar rotational period to
|Earth.  That's silly.  There's no way I'll believe they all have the same
|rotational period and the same revolutionary period as Earth.  These planets
|*have* to have their own local time-telling systems.  I've always believed
|that entries in TKD like {Hogh} and {DIS} were referring to the calendar of
|{Qo'noS} or some other Klingon planet.  They say "(Klingon)."  If Okrand is
|really writing the text of these entries, then he's becoming very sloppy
|indeed!

Keep in mind just who the target audience for MSN's Star Trek Continuum
Klingon site is: *not* obsessed (or should I say, dedicated?) Klingonists
who dissect and correlate each statement by Okrand in an attempt to extract
every scrap of information in their attempt to piece together a
comprehensive picture of an imaginary culture, but rather the run of the
mill Star Trek fan with an interest in Klingons--someone who may or may not
have bought TKD and is merely looking for a few (correct)  words or phrases
to shout out at their next KAG/KSF/KIDC/etc. meeting.

Bearing that in mind, Okrand's approach is perfectly understandable. For,
as much as we might pretend otherwise, ALL speakers of Klingon live on
*this* planet and, therefore, need to be able to tell the time, schedule
their next fan club meeting, ask how long it is until the next Hov leng
qep'a', etc.

I wonder at times whether Okrand, in going out of his way to stress the
Terran connections (a DIS is 365.25 days indeed!), isn't tweeking our noses
just a bit. Or reminding us that these time expressions are all relative.

Voragh

Back to archive top level