tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 18 09:49:54 1997

RE: KLBC: mu'ghom

January 17, 1997 11:55 PM EST, Edy Fonseca:

> paw neH mu'ghomwIj

"My dictionary merely arrives."  I think you probably meant "My dictionary has
arrived" (it's hard to tell without an English translation).  If that's the
case, here's what you need to do.

You've got the right sentence order.  You don't need the {neH} (unless you
were trying to say something else).  That leaves us with {paw mu'ghomwIj}.

I'd add one more thing to make this perfect.  So far, it means "My dictionary
arrived."  This is okay, but you could add a Type 7 aspect suffix to the verb,
{-pu'}, to indicate that the arriving is now complete.  That is, really, what
you are indicating here.

pawpu' mu'ghomwIj.
My dictionary has arrived.

> DaH tlhingan Hol jIghojlaH

You're trying to say "Now I can learn Klingon."  Don't forget that the phrase
{tlhIngan Hol} is the object to the verb {ghoj}.  It counts as an "it."
Therefore, you need the verb prefix which indicates first-person singular
subject ("I") and third-person singular object ("it").  That prefix is {vI-}.

DaH tlhIngan Hol vIghojlaH.
Now I can learn Klingon.

As a further option, if you like, you could add the Type 3 verb suffix {-choH}
"change of state" to the verb {ghoj}:

DaH tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoHlaH.
Now I can begin learning Klingon.

--