tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 15:56:20 1997

Re: yIvem ej qa'vIn yIlargh

At 01:18 PM 1/17/97 -0800, eric d. zay wrote:
> >Huh?  I am not aware of any reason why <qa'vIn tIr DI> can't be used as
the
> >object of the sentence.  And the rest of your sentence doesn't make
sense.

> No, it doesn't make sense in YOUR mind.

What's this?!  If you have a point about the language to make that's fine,
but if you can't engage in a discussion without resorting to personal
attacks, then maybe you should take a prozac and calm down before posting!

> There is a difference between:
>
> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh
>
> and
>
> <qa'vIn tIr DI> vIjatlh.
>
> qar'a'? maj. Okay, so we DON'T know if we can use quotes or not in
tlhIngan
> Hol, so we mark it, like you did, but we don't SPEAK the stuff in <>'s.

This was not at issue.  Nothing I said had anything to do with the use of
quotes.

> is a general term, <jatlh>. It's used in a general sense, as if I said in
> English, "I speak English." We speak a LANGUAGE, but we don't speak a
> SENTENCE. We also don't SAY something (i.e. I say it).

A line from a joke in Power Klingon says:

		'avwI'vaD jatlh qama', *jIghung*

It is translated on the tape as "A prisoner says to the guard, *I am
hungery.*"  This supports the use of *jatlh* in a transitive way, meaning
"say".

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level