tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 15 16:38:29 1997

RE: KLBC: translation (first Volley)

January 15, 1997 2:30 PM EST, jatlh SI'IluD:

> >I suspect that the Klingon for "High Lord" would be something on the order
of
> >{joHquv}.  Note that "High Council" is {yejquv}, "High Command" is
> >{ra'ghomquv} and Supreme Commander is {la'quv}.  {tlhIngan Hol} tends
toward
> >the use of "honor" or "be honored" (instead of "high") to designate such
lofty
> >positions.
>
> Can I use vavquv, puqloDquv, and qa'quv for Father, Son and Holy Ghost given
> what you have said about quv? This seems reasonable.

Well, he's not saying that {joHquv} *is* the word for "High Lord," just that
it wouldn't be surprising if that were the word.  While {quv} may be a noun, I
suspect that words like {yejquv} may use the {-quv} element in the verbal
sense.  If this is so, then you can't just put these nouns and the verb {quv}
together.

If you used these words, you'd have to remember that they don't necessarily
*mean* these things, just that that's how you've chosen to use them.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level