tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 15 16:37:56 1997

RE: KLBC: translation (first Volley)

January 14, 1997 11:29 PM EST, jatlh HetaQ:

[jIjatlhpu']
> No, no, it's not written in canon that {pop} = "glory."  It's just that in
> what he had said, the word {pop} was the best word choice.
> --------------------
> So, we can conclude that {pop} is a canon tlhIngan Hol word but that a
> translation of  "glory" may only be appropriate for that specific proverb.
> Since we don't have a canon definition of {pop} we can't use it to mean
> glory in constructs of our own?

We do have a definition.  TKD page 183, {pop} "reward," and TKW page 47: "The
Klingon word 'pop' ('reward') could refer to compensation or a prize of some
sort, but it also means 'honor' in the sense of recognition for a particular
achievement or set of achievements."

Compare this to the definition of "glory" in my American College Dictionary:
"(1) exalted praise, honor, or distinction, accorded by common consent."
Surely you agree that this could be expressed with {pop} in the right
contexts?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian