tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 15 16:38:35 1997

RE: tea for two

This is no longer KLBC material, so I'm pulling it.

January 15, 1997 6:34 AM EST, jatlh HurghwI':

> >You may be right.  One canonical example of this is in ST VI.  The warrior
> >at the Morska listening post asks the Enterprise: "Dujvetlh 'oH nuq?."
>
> Why isn't this <nuq'e'>? Is there an exception I've forgoten?

The Klingon is speaking in one of the regional dialects.  It actually sounds
more like {duj vets 'o nuk, rIyn?}, where {d}, {s} and {k} represent the
English sounds of those letters.

Also, listen to the Power Klingon section on dialects.  One of the sample
regional sentences is {Soj vets 'o nuq}, or something like it.

In both cases, there is no {-'e'} at the end.  Those foolish hinterlanders!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level