tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 15:15:44 1997

RE: KLBC: translation (first Volley)

January 10, 1997 5:58 AM EST, jatlh Mhoram:

> tI' HomDu
> Bones mend

Don't forget the final glottal stop on {-Du'}!

{tI'} means "repair, fix."  The subject repairs the object.  We don't care
about who's doing the repairing, we're only interested in what's repaired.
Therefore, we need an indefinite subject, using {-lu'}:  {HomDu' tI'lu'} "One
repairs bones," or "Bones are repaired."

> ru' 'oy'
> pain is temporary

maj.

> taHchu' quv
> Glory is forever

maj!  There are a few people who have grumbled about the lack of a word for
"glory," but since the most important thing to a Klingon is honor {quv} or
{batlh}, it stands to reason that glory and honor are interchangeable
concepts.  If one finds glory, one has obviously found honor.  Good call.

This is an interesting form for this sentence.  It's very good.  I probably
would have used a more mundane {reH taH quv}.

> joH'a'    ie    Mhoram
> thlIngan name: Highlord (if I got it right)

Yes, you did.  I think "High lord" is closer to {joH'a'} is than "god."  (Some
in the KSRP have used {joH'a'} as "god" or "God," and it makes sense, but I
think it's a very specific usage for a very generally useful word.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level