tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 08 19:15:47 1997

RE: KLBC:Hello

January 08, 1997 6:08 PM EST, jatlh noSaj:

> Oops.  I meant to say:  jaj QaQ
> "Good day", or "Hello"

Klingon has limited ways to greet someone.  "Good day" is not one of them.
{nuqneH}, which means "what do you want?" is said to be the only greeting in
Klingon.  Actually, an Okrand forum word suggests that another greeting may be
{Qapla'}, although until now we always thought was only used as a sendoff (and
that may still be its primary usage).

If you said {jaj QaQ} to a Klingon, he'd probably think, "What about the good
day?"  It's not a complete sentence.  But even if you DID say {QaQ jaj} "the
day is good," he'd probably reply {jISaHbe'} "I don't care!"  When speaking
Klingon, get right to the point!

> >> noSaj, QojwI' puqloD jIH.
> >
> >What's {noSaj}?  It doesn't seem to be a word.
>
> It's supposed to be my name (noSaj is Jason spelled backwards).

Cool!  If you're going to be introducing a name, you'd better mark it with
something, either quotes or stars or brackets or something.  You see what
problems not doing so will cause: someone may not recognize it as a name!

> I was hoping this would translate:
> "I am noSaj, son of QojwI'"

It does.  Now that I see that it's a name, yes, it's quite right.

> Question: in Klingon, do appositives come directly after the noun they refer

> to, or do they go before?

Hmmm . . . this is a technical question, isn't it?  <scratches head>

You've got apposition right in your sentence, I believe.  I don't quite
remember the Okrand sources we have concerning it, but I believe it mentioned
{*wo'rIv* *mogh* puqloD}.

> QaHlI'vaD qatlho'
> (or should it be " QaHlI'mo' qatlho' "?)

"I thank you for the benefit of your help (which is capable of using
language)."

Two things.  First, since "help" is not a being capable of using language, you
need to use the {-lIj} suffix, not {-lI'}.

Second, you shouldn't use {-vaD} here.  The noun modified by {-vaD} becomes
the beneficiary of whatever the action is.  "Your help" is not benefitting
from the action "I thank you," so you cannot use {-vaD}.  This is one of those
cases where the English has to be reworded before it can be changed into
Klingon.

QaHlIjmo' qatlho'
I thank you because of your help.

You had this (except for {-lIj}) above.

A more elegant (and definitely more Klingon) approach would be to use the verb
meaning of {QaH} instead of the noun:

choQaHpu'mo' qatlho'.
I thank you because you have helped me.

Try to use verbs as often as you can!  They work much better in Klingon than
nouns do for constructing sentences!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian