tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 07 08:35:48 1997

Re: How far is it?

:chay' Hop DujDaj
:vengvetlhvo' jav qellI'qam Hop 'oH
:
:chay' Doq 'IwlIj
:reghtaHvIS Doqqu' 'oH 'e' vIleghlaH
:
:Actually, how do we say that one thing is a specified distance from another?
:
:peHruS

I'm not sure either. Although it has probably been discussed in this forum
before, I don't remember what options were suggested. Here are some relevant
items from canon:

Hop  "be remote, far"
   logh Hop  "deep space" (Skybox DS99)
Sum  "be near" (CK)
   Sum Daqmeyvam tera'ngan
   These places are nearby, Terran. (CK)
chuq  "range, distance"
   noH HIvchuq chorghSaD qelI'qam
     Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. (ST5)
   SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH naQvam
     This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the effective
range for
     distance targeting. (Skybox S14)
lurgh  "direction (spatial)"

Off the top of my head, one clumsy way would be to say something like:
   naDevvo' Hop Daqvam.  200 qelI'qam 'oH chuq'e'.
   naDevvo' Sum Daqvam.  200 qelI'qam neH 'oH chuq'e'.

Any other ideas?

Voragh

Back to archive top level