tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 07 03:21:17 1997

Re: ' between vowels

Donald E. Vick wrote:
>      I have a reminder to give here.  This is not a Klingon word we're
> talking about, it's a transliteration of a greek word.

Whatever its etymology, if someone wants it as a _nom de Klin_, if it is
written in the Klingon alphabet (pIqaD or romanisation, it matters not),
if it can be used in a Klingon sentence, it is a Klingon word, and the
rules of Klingon phonology apply.

> Also, it's a name, which even in Klingon do not follow the normal rules.

No?  Cite a Klingon name which starts with a vowel with no preceding
glottal stop.

> The pronunciation (determined by sitting and saying it out loud for
> about 15 minutes) is <ta - DI' - 'oS>.[...]
> taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH

'Fraid not.  If it is written with a single {'}, there's no way it can
be pronounced with *two* glottal stops.  This ain't English, where you
write _Constantinople_ and pronounce it [,Ist&m'bu:l].  Klingon uses a
phonetic orthography.

Alan Anderson wrote:
[re the Maximal Onset Principle]
> Thus the common Terran MISpronunciation of {Qapla'} as "kuh-PLAH". :-(

Yes, that's a case in point:  In English a syllable can begin with /pl/
(witness the fact that words can), so /pl/ is the maximal onset assigned
to the second syllable; in Klingon that is not the case, so the maximal
onset is {l}, and the {p} is left to form the coda of the first syllable.
If the MOP didn't apply to Klingon, there might be a case for *{Qa-pla'}
(which you refer to as a mispronunciation) or *{Qapl-a'}.

> I prefer to believe that Klingon phonology violates the MOP;

Yet there is not a single reason in the world to think that it does.
All available evidence points towards the fact that every Klingon
syllable, word-initial or not, starts with 1 (one) consonant, and
that's all there's to it.

> it makes the language sound much more alien.

qechvetlh vIyajbe'.  DaH yIQIj.

--'Iwvan

--
"mIw'e' lo'lu'ta'bogh batlh tlhIHvaD vIlIH [...]
 poH vIghajchugh neH jIH, yab boghajchugh neH tlhIH"

Back to archive top level