tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 06 07:38:17 1997

RE: ' between vowels

ja' 'Iwvan:

>In phonology there is something known as the Maximal Onset Principle,
>which says that in any spoken language words are divided into syllables
>in such a way that as many consonants as possible form a syllable with
>the following rather than the preceding vowel.

Thus the common Terran MISpronunciation of {Qapla'} as "kuh-PLAH". :-(

I go out of my way to keep the {p} at the end of the first syllable,
and start the second syllable with a clear {l}.  I prefer to believe
that Klingon phonology violates the MOP; it makes the language sound
much more alien.

However, I too pronounce {taDI'oS} as {ta-DI-'oS}.  It's a lot easier
to start a syllable with a consonant.  Though it isn't impossible to
say {ta-DI'-oS}, I have to expend a lot of effort to do it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level