tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 28 11:47:30 1997

Re: Hol vIlo' (was Re: Holna' wIlo'bejtaH)

At 11:27 02/28/1997 -0800, Joel Peter Anderson wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Alan Anderson wrote:
>> ghItlh Qunchuy:
>> >chaq vay'vaD Quj 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e' 'ach pabnIStaH Quj
>>
>> Qoch'a' vay'?  HochvaD potlhqu'law' qechvam.

vIlajchu'. batlh jatlh Qunchuy val.

>Games, like languages, usually have ranges of rules, variations, and, as
>long as they are living, no end of change.  Quick, how *many* versions of
>Poker are there, anyway?  The deck of cards is constant (generally), but
>the rules, the stakes and players possesses an infinite diversity in
>infinite combinations... (where have I heard that?).

But during any particular hand of poker, how many rules are in effect?
I enjoy chaos as much as any other anarchist, but just as one can't
play a hand of poker when each player chooses to apply different rules,
we can't speak the same language without the same *applied* grammar.

>There is tremendous enjoyment, and mental discipline available in working
>with the grammar, and learning the language - I don't disagree with that.
>But, to me, the biggest win is the sense of wonder in introducing the
>language.

What i enjoy in learning the language is the way my brain gets remapped
by learning and thinking in the new grammar and vocabulary. Introducing
a new language is certainly a big win, but how can you say it's the
"biggest" when you haven't achieved the next level?

- DaQtIq

Back to archive top level