tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 28 13:13:13 1997

Re: Hol vIlo' (was Re: Holna' wIlo'bejtaH)

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, DaQtIq wrote:

> At 11:27 02/28/1997 -0800, Joel Peter Anderson wrote:
> >On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Alan Anderson wrote:
> >> ghItlh Qunchuy:
> >>
> >> Qoch'a' vay'?  HochvaD potlhqu'law' qechvam.
>
> vIlajchu'. batlh jatlh Qunchuy val.
>
> >Games, like languages, usually have ranges of rules, variations, and, as
> >long as they are living, no end of change.  Quick, how *many* versions of
> >Poker are there, anyway?
>
> But during any particular hand of poker, how many rules are in effect?

Nor did I suggest the rules changed - just that one can play "poker" with
different rules.

  "pab yIbIv!" vIjatlh'a'?  ghobe', 'ach rejmorgh jIHbe'.
  pab, Hol, mu'mey je vIlo'. lalDanwIj 'oHbe' pab'e'.
  ("Humpty-Dumpty" 'oH'a' pongwIj'e'?)

> I enjoy chaos as much as any other anarchist, but just as one can't
> play a hand of poker when each player chooses to apply different rules,

Oddly enough, I considered using the word chaos, too.  Then decided I
don't really like chaos.  Its probably just that I'm lazy

> we can't speak the same language without the same *applied* grammar.

That isn't true - you certainly speak every day with people who use and
apply a variety of grammars, and the reason you can speak is that the
intersection of those grammars is big enough (usually) that you all
understand each other.

Game playing (poker and so forth) does not really map well to natural
language, anyway (IMHO).  Computer languages map to games better, since
the rules are regular, and easily expressed in simple terms.

> >There is tremendous enjoyment, and mental discipline available in working
> >with the grammar, and learning the language - I don't disagree with that.
> >But, to me, the biggest win is the sense of wonder in introducing the
> >language.
>
> What i enjoy in learning the language is the way my brain gets remapped
> by learning and thinking in the new grammar and vocabulary.

Of course.  This sounds pretty close to my usual rhapsodies when I explain
the enjoyment of tlhIngan Hol to non-Klingonists.

> Introducing
> a new language is certainly a big win, but how can you say it's the
> "biggest" when you haven't achieved the next level?

Hmmm ... I guess, I'm happy with the jackpot I've got.

   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
    http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]

Back to archive top level