tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 28 11:20:39 1997

Hol vIlo' (was Re: Holna' wIlo'bejtaH)

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Alan Anderson wrote:
> ghItlh Qunchuy:
> >chaq vay'vaD Quj 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e' 'ach pabnIStaH Quj
>
> Qoch'a' vay'?  HochvaD potlhqu'law' qechvam.
>
> I think this concept is important enough for everyone to be aware of
> that I'm going to expand on it in English.
>
> Even if the Klingon language is "just a game" to some, games still
> have rules.  When someone breaks the rules, adds his own, or simply
> interprets them in such a different way from most other people that
> they might as well not be the same rules, everyone playing the game
> suffers (with the possible exception of the "cheater").

Oh, fooey.  "Suffer"?  That is *kind* of a strong word isn't it?  ("Cheat"
isn't the word I'd choose either...)

Games, like languages, usually have ranges of rules, variations, and, as
long as they are living, no end of change.  Quick, how *many* versions of
Poker are there, anyway?  The deck of cards is constant (generally), but
the rules, the stakes and players possesses an infinite diversity in
infinite combinations... (where have I heard that?).

When I've introduced Klingon, I am often quite flexible in grammar
(probably no surprise here - I'm not likely to apply hereabouts (or be
accepted) as grammarian).  But my KLI card reads "qo'mey poSmoH Hol" - I'm
more interested in opening the doors to new worlds, than locking them.
There is tremendous enjoyment, and mental discipline available in working
with the grammar, and learning the language - I don't disagree with that.
But, to me, the biggest win is the sense of wonder in introducing the
language.

Especially with kids, the idea of the language - the possibilty of using
it at ALL, can be *wonderful*.  When I've been presented with a story that
pretty much uses Klingon terms like "coded English", I'll comment briefly
about that, but then go on to translate it with the author and enjoy the
effort they put into it.  Sure seemed like we *both* won to me.  And I
don't recall any suffering.

   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
    http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]

Back to archive top level