tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 19 01:11:36 1997

RE: KLBC: Translation

On Tuesday, February 18, 1997 1:16 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
Rethans F.G. wrote:

> I've tried to translate the following sentence into tlhIngan-Hol:
>
> Yesterday I saw bodies all over the place but today warriors drink
> together.
>
> wa'Hu' lommey vIleghpu �ch DaHjaj tlhutlh SuvwI'tay
>
> I don't know why I tried this sentence, but I ask you if anythings wrong
> with it?

Well, let's see.  You don't really get the "all over the place" idea with
{lommey}; corpses aren't alive, and I for one don't consider them body parts.
You *could* use {Dat} "everywhere."

wa'Hu' Dat lommey vIlegh
Yesterday I saw corpses everywhere.

Also, you don't want to use {-pu'} here.  Remember, there's no past tense (or
any other tense) in Klingon!  You've stated the time element, {wa'Hu'}.  Check
it out in TKD section 4.2.7, and also in the list's FAQ:
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.html#3.1

Always be sure to use the normal apostrophe, {'}, when indicating the glottal
stop.  And never forget glottal stops!  In this sentence, you've used {tay}
which means "be civilized" or "ceremony," when what you wanted was {tay'} "be
together."

Finally, when using a verb adjectivally ({tay'}), remember that it's a
separate word.  Don't attach it to the noun.

wa'Hu' Dat lommey vIlegh 'ach DaHjaj tlhutlh SuvwI' tay'.
Yesterday I saw corpses everywhere but today warriors who are together drink.

majQa'!  mu'tlheghvam DaqontaHvIS bIpo'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level