tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 12 17:13:23 1997

Re: A Klingon Wedding

~Mark had some comments about the wedding ceremony I posted. While I had
originally intended to send it just to him (mistaking seeing his name at the
top as meaning he had sent me a private message) anyone else should feel free
to comment. I'll offer up a few comments of my own.

>>poSDaq jaghpu'
>>nIHDaq jaghpu'
>
>Verbs missing (lutu'lu').  But possibly forgivable as poetry, and since
>it's to be completed in the next line.
>
>Dat chaHtaH
   ^(see, I've already lost the -Daq)

I wasn't trying to be poetic but it's nice that it sort of worked out that way.
I was struggling so much with locative I forgot to give it a verb. Actually,
I think I'll leave it this way, less of a challange for the officiate, someone
with no language skill.

>>SuvtaH
>>batlh Suv
>>nIteb Suv
>
>They only battle separately?

Yes. "He fights continuously. He fights with honor. He fights alone." The
officiate is speaking of the lone warrior and how he (or she) can't win alone.
"He can fight perfectly but he will certainly die." I actually was thinking
"eventually" rather than "certainly". Maybe I'll add something like "and noone
will know except the stars."

>>vaj mamuvchuq
>>cha' moj wa'
>
>"One becomes two."  I think you have the sentence-order backwards.  Object
>first: "wa' moj cha'".  Unless you really mean "one becomes two" and I
>misunderstood the imagery.
>
>>tuq moj cha'
>>mangghom moj tuqmey
>>wo' chen mangghommey

I did want that imagery. "One becomes two. Two becomes a family. Families
become an army. Armies build Empires" I wanted the added imagery of the Empire
being built, like a building or monumental structure being built. That the
wedded couple are the foundation of that structure. I wanted to bring that out
but couldn't find the right words. (Any suggestions would be appreciated).

I also wanted to add the imagery of the couple standing back to back against
the universe. I would have said just that if I could have figured out how to say
"back to back."

Oh, and by the way, the knife to be used for the ceremony is not sharp so there
will be no real blood spilled during the ceremony (unless the couple draws
blood during the kiss. That's not outside the realm of possibility.)

Thanks for the help.

       Lt.Cmdr. Kordite, Executive Officer
     IKV Dark Justice, Klingon Assault Group
         choSuvchugh 'oy'lIj Daghur neH