tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 13 07:26:13 1997

Re: A Klingon Wedding

>Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:18:56 -0800
>From: "la'Hom qorDayt" <[email protected]>
>
>~Mark had some comments about the wedding ceremony I posted. While I had
>originally intended to send it just to him (mistaking seeing his name at the
>top as meaning he had sent me a private message) anyone else should feel free
>to comment. I'll offer up a few comments of my own.

Ooops....

>>>SuvtaH
>>>batlh Suv
>>>nIteb Suv
>>
>>They only battle separately?
>

>Yes. "He fights continuously. He fights with honor. He fights alone." The
>officiate is speaking of the lone warrior and how he (or she) can't win alone.
>"He can fight perfectly but he will certainly die." I actually was thinking
>"eventually" rather than "certainly". Maybe I'll add something like "and noone
>will know except the stars."

Aha... You must be careful; I *totally* misunderstood this.  You say
"enemies to the left and right, all over..." and then "SuvtaH".  I presumed
that it was the *enemies* who were fighting.  Which is why it seemed
strange that all these enemies should be fighting separately, like they're
lining up or something.  "batlh" seemed only slightly out of place, since
one's enemies can be honorable too, and recognized as such.  I think you
really need an explicit subject someplace, like "SuvtaH SuvwI'" or
something.

>>>vaj mamuvchuq
>>>cha' moj wa'
>>
>>"One becomes two."  I think you have the sentence-order backwards.  Object
>>first: "wa' moj cha'".  Unless you really mean "one becomes two" and I
>>misunderstood the imagery.
>>
>>>tuq moj cha'
>>>mangghom moj tuqmey
>>>wo' chen mangghommey
>
>I did want that imagery. "One becomes two. Two becomes a family. Families
>become an army. Armies build Empires" I wanted the added imagery of the Empire
>being built, like a building or monumental structure being built. That the
>wedded couple are the foundation of that structure. I wanted to bring that out
>but couldn't find the right words. (Any suggestions would be appreciated).

Ooooh, OK.  I was too hung up on imagery of marriage joining people, not on
multiplication.

~mark

Back to archive top level