tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 11 07:04:59 1997

Re: KLBC

>Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 23:15:39 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>February 07, 1997 6:30 PM, jatlh ChuS be':
>
>> > jumuvmo', jIQuch, *ChuS be'*.  batlh tlhIngan Hol Daghojjaj!
>>
>> QaH'a' mu'meylIj.
>
>This sentence would be fine in clipped Klingon, but for the full version,
>you'd need to use a pronoun, as per TKD section 6.3:  {QaH'a' bIH mu'meylIj}.

{QaH'a' bIH mu'meylIj'e'}.  :)

>> {jIjum'e' Qub.}
>
>Huh?  Did you mean to have three words here?  {jIjum 'e' Qub} "He thinks that
>I am odd."  Is this what you were trying to say?

It's a quote from your correction of the prior post, when you said "he
thinks I am odd" should be translated as {jIjum 'e' Qub}.

>> he-it HechmeH moHaq pagh ?
>
>{Hech} means "intend to," not "mean" as in "defined as."  You can say {"he-it"
>jatlhlu'meH} "In order that one says "he-it"}.  Or you could choose other
>verbs, as appropriate.
>
>There's no main verb in this sentence.
>
>"he-it" jatlhlu'meH, pagh moHaq tu'lu''a'?
>In order that one says "he-it," there are no prefixes."
>
>Is this what you were trying to say?  Always use lots of verbs; don't worry
>about the nouns so much.
>nuq Dayajchu'be'?  yIQIjchu'.  Qatlhqu'chugh, DIvI' Hol yIlo'.

I think the question is "are there no prefixes (or the null prefix?) for
he-it?"  The answer is that the prefix for he-it is indeed the null
prefix.  {paq legh puq} means "the child sees the book", etc.  So "jIjum
'e' Qub" is "I am odd, [he] thinks that-previous-sentence" with the "he"
left out as understood.  There is no prefix on "Qub", or if you prefer the
prefix is the null prefix.

>> PS  Star Date choQIjqang'a'? chay' DaSIm'a'?
>
>If the object of {QIj} is "Stardate," you probably need a matching prefix.
>{cho-} means "you-me," not "you-it."  Again, you can use {-vaD}.

Though we've seen cho- (actually HI-) with another direct object as a
shorthand for jIHvaD... and a different prefix. ("ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob",
etc).

~mark