tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 23:13:08 1997

RE: KLBC

February 07, 1997 6:30 PM, jatlh ChuS be':

> > jumuvmo', jIQuch, *ChuS be'*.  batlh tlhIngan Hol Daghojjaj!
>
> QaH'a' mu'meylIj.

This sentence would be fine in clipped Klingon, but for the full version,
you'd need to use a pronoun, as per TKD section 6.3:  {QaH'a' bIH mu'meylIj}.
Of course, using {QaH} in its noun form becomes kind of silly; why not use it
as a verb?  {QaHqu' mu'meylIj} "Your words really helped."

> tlhIngan Hol vIghojbejtaH.  jujatlh
> jupwIj:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by {jujatlh jupwIj}.  First of
all, if you're referring to me as your friend and you don't want to insult me,
:) you have to say {jupwI'} instead of {jupwIj}.  (See TKD section 3.3.4.)

{jujatlh} doesn't make much sense.  "You say us."  While it's still not
totally clear how verbs of saying are to be used, my own take on {jatlh} is
that the person being spoken to is NOT the object (we've seen this sort of
thing on the Power Klingon tape).  Rather, you simply state that something is
being spoken, then use {-vaD} to indicate who is receiving this action of
speaking.  {maHvaD bIjatlh} "You say to us."

> nIyajbe' 'ej tlhIngan Hol bIjatlh bIqanDI'!  (jIlugh'a'?)

Since in this case {tlhIngan Hol} is the object of {jatlh} (one of those cases
where we know we CAN do this), the prefix on {jatlh} must be {Da-}, not {bI-}.
 {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh}.

I'm afraid I don't follow the thread of what you're saying, however.  "They
don't understand you, and you will speak Klingon as soon as you are old!"

> jabbI'IDlIj wa'DIch:  wa' Doch mumISmoH.

You'd have to say {mumISmoH wa' Doch}.  "One thing causes me to be confused."
The subject of a {-moH} verb "causes" the object to do the verb.

> {jIjum'e' Qub.}

Huh?  Did you mean to have three words here?  {jIjum 'e' Qub} "He thinks that
I am odd."  Is this what you were trying to say?

> he-it HechmeH moHaq pagh ?

{Hech} means "intend to," not "mean" as in "defined as."  You can say {"he-it"
jatlhlu'meH} "In order that one says "he-it"}.  Or you could choose other
verbs, as appropriate.

There's no main verb in this sentence.

"he-it" jatlhlu'meH, pagh moHaq tu'lu''a'?
In order that one says "he-it," there are no prefixes."

Is this what you were trying to say?  Always use lots of verbs; don't worry
about the nouns so much.

nuq Dayajchu'be'?  yIQIjchu'.  Qatlhqu'chugh, DIvI' Hol yIlo'.

> PS  Star Date choQIjqang'a'? chay' DaSIm'a'?

If the object of {QIj} is "Stardate," you probably need a matching prefix.
{cho-} means "you-me," not "you-it."  Again, you can use {-vaD}.

Also, if you use a question word like {chay'}, you don't use the interrogative
suffix {-'a'}.

jIHvaD "Stardate" DaQIjqang'a'?  chay' DaSIm?

<http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli/stardate.html>   yIlaD.  naDev vIQIjchu'.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian