tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 04 05:09:20 1997

Re: Phrases (and Comparative construction)

I sent this yesterday, but the listserver never echoed it back.  If it did in
fact reach the List and you've all seen it already, my apologies.

>>   I hold it true, whate'er befall;
>>   I feel it, when I sorrow most;
>>   'Tis better to have loved and lost
>>   Than never to have loved at all.

>> Here's a quick go (i.e. neither metre nor rhyme is perfect) at a translation,
[...]

>>   reH jI'IQqu'taHvIS, vIbuS;
>>   qaS nuq 'e' jISaHbe', teHlaw';
>>   parmaq vIchIlchugh, ghu' QaQ law',
>>   not vImuSHa'chugh, ghu' QaQ puS.

jatlh ~mark:

> Wow, you really have a knack for this.

ghojmoHwI' DanaDnIS.  reH bom wImughDI' maH cha', chavDaj QaQ law' chavwIj QaQ
puS.

> You have the question-as-object construction which we're not
> so sure about, but that's not bad.  Then again, maybe Hoch or
> vay' instead of nuq would be better.

That's why I said it was 'a quick go'.  I just used the first construction I
thought of that scanned.

> It should be vISaHbe', though, certainly.

HIvqa' veqlargh!  moHaqmey jay'!

qon 'Iwvan:

>  reH jI'IQqu'taHvIS, vIbuS,
>  'ej qaSlaH Hoch Doch, not vIHon;
>  chaq nargh parmaq; chaq not vIjon;
>  ghu'vetlh qaq law' ghu'vam qaq puS.

majQa'!  I considered using your {paghmo' tIn mIs}-type construction, but
abandoned the idea because I thought {ghu'vetlh} and {ghu'vam} would have to be
stressed on {ghu'-}.  But in this case one can very easily justify stressing the
demonstrative suffixes.

T'Lark

Back to archive top level