tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 10 04:46:46 1997

Re: News from Pocket Books!

Steven Boozer wrote:

> But I'm a little surprised,
> Lawrence. Don't you keep in touch with Marc Okrand? Yet, this is the first
> you've heard of a new book in the works??

Actually, this is pretty common.  I suspect that Marc is under contractual
obligations to keep silent until word officially goes out.  I chat with Marc a few
times a month, and in the past I've learned about a new book of his before he's been
told it's "public" knowledge.  Now that the word has gotten out, I plan to ask him a
bit more about it (probably later this week) and I'll pass along such details as he
cares to share.

> Hey, this is a pretty clever - and Klingon-savvy - blurb. They spelled
> Qo'noS right, they realize how hard to understand some fans find TKD,
> and they also (sort of) mention the KLI's Hamlet!

That was my reaction as well.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Marc proofed the
blurb, or at least reminded them of the importance of apostrophes and capital
letters.

And yes, I wonder if the mention of Hamlet is a slight nod to the KLI translation, or
more simply a reference to the original source in ST:VI.  As much as my ego would
like to believe the former, the reality is probably the latter.  But, allow me a few
weeks of indulgent self-delusion.

> Speaking of which, Lawrence,
> is there any more interest by S&S on publishing Hamlet as a paperback?

I have reason to believe we may be making some small progress, but I'm not at liberty
to go into more detail at this time.  I hope to be able to tell everyone more in
another month.

> And it wouldn't hurt to mention [to John Ordover] the growing membership
> of the Institute not to mention how busy it keeps you answering requests
> for information about tlhIngan Hol. Maybe they'll even include a mention
> of the KLI and the tlhIngan Hol mailing list in the book complete with
> mailing and e-mail addresses.

Right now my infrequent communications with John focus on trying to get Hamlet into
paperback at Pocket Books.  I believe he is *quite* aware of the popularity of
Klingon and the growth of the KLI.  Also, I don't know if John handles Marc's books,
I tend to think of him more as the "Fiction Editor."  Kevin Ryan used to handle the
other side of things, and I can't remember the name of the person who now has the
job.

As for Pocket Books ever listing the KLI in one of their books, I think that has as
much chance as a happy tribble on Kronos.  No doubt the legal staff would see dozens
of reasons NOT to do it.  We had quite a few problems just getting credit for some
translations done for a DSN comic book a while back, let alone something done to
acknowledge more general contributions.  Still, it is nice to dream.

najwI' jIH.

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
:: [email protected] ::   http://www.kli.org   :: 215/836-4955 ::

Back to archive top level