tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 05 15:15:40 1997

RE: KLBC: vInaD

February 05, 1997 2:08 AM EST, jatlh nejwI':

> This might be a little like running before knowing how to walk, but...
> bIlujaHbe'chugh bIQaplaHbe' ;-)

'ach DayIvlaHbe'chugh, yIchopQo'!  {{:-)

> K: 'oy'wIj'a' yIQoy;
> E: Hear my pain!
>     (Hear my lament!;)

maj.

> K: tIqwIj rIQ yIlegh
> E: See my wounded heart!
>     (Witness my torn heart!)

maj.

> K: muDuQbejta' wuSmeyDaj 'etlh;
> E: The sword of her lips has undoubtedly stabbed me
>     (Her tongue has undoubtedly pierced my soul;)

Actually, you said "Her scattered lips' sword has definitely stabbed me."

If you're trying for "tongue," the word is {jat}.  You might want to use {qa'}
for "soul" (see the New Words list).

qa'wIj DuQbejta' jatDaj.

> K: vaj 'IwwIj bIQtIqmey SoDmoHtaH
> E: Thus she causes the rivers of my blood to continuously flood
>     (thus she makes my veins spill)

Well, your English and Klingon are correct, but the part in parenthesis (which
I assume is the original that you're trying for) doesn't match.  The simplest,
though perhaps unpoetic, way to say this would be {mureghmoH} "she causes me
to bleed." ({regh} is from TKW; see New Words.)

> K: QIt muyay'moHlaw qabDaj Hovmey;
> E: Slowly the stars of her face are apparently causing me to become
> dumbfounded
>    (Her eyes are slowly making me insane;)

Same situation here.  For the bit in parenthesis, I'd simply say {QIt
mumaw'moH mInDu'Daj}.

> K: reH jIQamtaHvIS 'oH mumeQmoH QuchDaj'e'
> E: Always, while I am standing, her forehead causes me to burn
>     (Always do I long for her forehead)

What's that {'oH} doing there?  It can't be the subject of {jIQamtaHvIS}, and
it can't be the object of {mumeQmoH}.  So what is it?  If you remove it, it
seems to mean what you want.

Again, I don't see why you have two English versions.  The second is simply
{reH QuchDaj vIneHqu'}.

> K: chIch yolmey yotlh vI'el;
> E: I purposely enter the land of conflicts
>     (I resolutely tread the battlefield;)

For "tread," you might consider using {yIt}.  And "battlefield" might be
represented as {may' yotlh}, though that's not carved in stone.

chIch may' yotlhDaq jIyIt.

> K: vay' DaneHbogh vIcharghnIS
> E: I need to conquer what I desire
>     (She that I desire, I must conquer)

Wrong prefix there.  {vay' vIneHbogh vIcharghnIS}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level