tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 15:26:00 1997

Re: KLBC

David Trimboli wrote:

> February 04, 1997 10:11 PM EST, jatlh ChuS be':
>
> > ChuS be' pongwIj.
>
> When saying that something "is" something else, use a pronoun.  See TKD
> section 6.3.  Also, please mark names with a symbol, like an asterisk.
>
> *ChuS be' 'oH pongwIj'e'.
>
> Have you heard me go on about what KLBC is all about?  I suppose you have, so
> I'll spare you my speech!  :)
>
> > tlhIngan Hol vIghojlI'.
>
> This sentence is perfectly correct, but it implies that you have a known
> stopping point in mind.  I hope that you plan to study Klingon as an ongoing
> project, not a specific task, so instead of {-lI'}, use {-taH}:
>
> tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH.
>
> See TKD section 4.2.7.
>
> > vIparHaqu'.
>
> maj.
>
> > tlhIngan Hol vIghojlI' vav vIja'ta'.
>
> majQa'!  Except that I'd use {vIghojtaH} instead of {vIghojlI'}, you've got
> this one right on!  And verbs of saying are confusing enough!!
>
> > muQub jum. (lugh jIjatlh'a'?)
>
> ghobe'.  Actually, both sentences are wrong.
>
> "He thinks that I am odd" requires a sentence-as-object construction (see TKD
> section 6.2.5).  The first part is "I am odd."  {jIjum}.  The second part is
> "He thinks that."  {'e' Qub}.  {'e'} is a pronoun which stands in for the
> entire previous sentence.  Imagine the {jIjum} part crammed into where the
> {'e'} is.
>
> jIjum 'e' Qub.
> He thinks I'm odd.
>
> > ChuS be'
> >
> > PS  jIbel.  peDlI'!
>
> Again, you probably don't want {-lI'}.  {-taH} would be correct.  The assumed
> subject of this sentence must be {muD} "atmosphere."  {peDtaH muD} "The
> atmosphere is snowing."  After all, when you say "It is snowing," what's "it"?
>  Well, in Klingon, the word {muD} seems to work here. See HolQeD 2:4, if you
> have it.
>
> jumuvmo', jIQuch, *ChuS be'*.  batlh tlhIngan Hol Daghojjaj!
>
> --
> SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian
> Stardate 97100.5

QaH'a' mu'meylIj.  tlhIngan Hol vIghojbejtaH.  jujatlh
jupwIj: nIyajbe' 'ej tlhIngan Hol bIjatlh bIqanDI'!  (jIlugh'a'?)

jabbI'IDlIj wa'DIch:  wa' Doch mumISmoH. {jIjum'e' Qub.}
he-it HechmeH moHaq pagh ?

*ChuS be'

PS  Star Date choQIjqang'a'? chay' DaSIm'a'?

Back to archive top level