tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 03 03:32:10 1997

Re: weQwIj

>>> My candle burns at both ends;
>>> It will not last the night;
>>> But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends --
>>> It gives a lovely light.

>>> cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj chu';
>>> tugh, tlheDpa' ramvam, loj;
>>> 'a toH!  yIqIm, jaghpu', juppu' --
>>> 'IH meQtaHvIS, 'ej Doj.

Qum 'Iwvan:

> baQa', do I wish you didn't have to make that a *new* candle!

jIH je.

> I'd say {rInpa' ramvam}, though,

{rIn} is glossed as 'be accomplished, finished'.  I wasn't sure whether it could
be used in the sense of 'be over'.  Voragh, how is it used in canon?

> and certainly {peqIm} instead of {yIqIm}.

bIlughba'.  HIvqa'qu' veqlargh!

Qum Lawrence ~mark je:

>> This is one of my favorite poems [...] I think you did a very nice job
>> with it,  particularly in capturing the essence of the last line despite
>> the obvious changes you had to put in.

> Man, I'd forgotten how nice that poem was!  And the translation is lovely.

Satlho'qu'.  'ach loQ vIDubnIS.

>> 1) what is the function of "chu'" in the first line (other than to allow
>> for rhyme and meter)?  Why is your candle new?  Edna's wasn't.

> Rhyme, surely.

Unfortunately, yes.  A stressed syllable is needed after {weQwIj}, and even
though line three is quite flexible, there aren't many choices for the end of
line one.  {chu'} doesn't do any harm if the poem is taken literally, but it
does if it is taken metaphorically (as it should be).

>> 2) the juxtaposition of "jaghpu', juppu'" in the third line seems
>> somewhat grammatically awkward.  I keep looking for a "je" to tie them in
>> rather than having to depend on the comma.  This is a minor complaint
>> though and easily dismissed under the blanket of "poetic license,"
>> especially as the line flows and works so well as written.

> Actually, I rather like the asyndeton, with no conjunction.

So do I.  And they're being addressed, not referred to.  The grammar may not
require a conjunction, just as English doesn't in "Friends, Romans, countrymen,
lend me your ears ...".

> Though I just came up with a possibility to lose the "chu'" and put the
> conjunction back in, at the cost of changing a perfect rhyme to a near-rhyme.

jIngor 'e' Dachup'a'?  jatlIj yIchop!

> Replace the first line with "cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj'e'" and the third
> line with "'a toH, peqIm, jagh jup je" (missing a syllable, actually, but I
> don't like pluralizing one and not the other).

The syllable's easy to put back:  {'a toH!  peqImchu', jagh jup je}.  It's the
rhyme I don't like.

> I am not sure it's worth it just to remove the "chu'".  There may be other
ways too.

reH mIw latlh tu'lu'.  But it often comes down to a compromise, and this looks
to be such a case.

Qumqa' 'Iwvan:

> Re the newness that T'Lark has felt compelled (due to rhyme constraints,
> to everyone's dissatisfaction) to attribute to Edna St Vincent Millay's
> bilateral candle, how about ...

>   cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj lI';  [...]
>   'a toH!  [pe]qIm, jaghwI', jupwI' --

> It is still not quite there (it would be better to avoid the epithet
> altogether), but I think that `useful' is more tolerable than `new'.

Well ...  I don't much like {lI'}, myself.  How about:

  cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj tlhegh;
  tugh, rInpa' ramvam, loj;
  'a toH!  jaghpu', juppu', pelegh --
  'IH meQtaHvIS, 'ej Doj.

This works if (a) the Klingons have no word for 'wick' and so a compound {weQ
tlhegh} would be natural; and (b) it doesn't matter that the
not-explicitly-stated subject of lines two and four is no longer identical to
the subject of line one (i.e. 'it' refers to the modifier {weQwIj}, not to the
whole noun phrase).

Does anyone like this better?

T'Lark

Back to archive top level