tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 26 11:06:15 1997

Re: Whereever he is

TPO wrote:

>>> ghaHtaHbogh Daq yIHoH, literally: kill him in  place which he is.
>>
>>This comes closer to meaning, "Kill the place which he is," than
>>it does to what you intend, but the word order is unusual even
>>for that.

    Yes. It sounds this way .. a bit funny!!!

>>> Dat yISam 'ej yIHoH - Find him in everywhere and kill him
>>> DaSamDI' vaj yIHoH - when you find him then kill him.
>>
>>Good tries. Meanwhile, if you just say, {yIHoH} that pretty much
>>implies killing him wherever he is. You can't kill him anywhere
>>else, after all...
>
>I believe he means  kill him whereever he is, even if it is in a puplic
>place; as opposed to finding him, throwing him in the trunk, and taking him
>somewhere else where noone will see you kill him.
>
>I might go with  DaSamDI' yIHoH  or maybe  DaSamDI' pa' yIHoH
>(note: because  pa'  doesn't have -Daq on it, it would be translated as
>[there] not as [room].)  When you find him, kill him there (where you found
>him).

    As SuStel said, the character didn't find his target yet, so << nej >> is better.
The target can be hidden in any part of Galaxy, then the idea of
whereever is important.  Other attempt I thought is:
    << Dat yInejchu' >> in sense of look for him carefully in everywhere.

Dat yInejchu' 'ej yIHoH    or  a new one quite complicated
Dat yInejchu' 'ej QamtaH ghaHtaHDaq yIHoH   (Look for him in everywhere and kill him
him where he is standing).

    I think the gramarians will not like this one!!

>>If the idea of finding him is important, just {DaH yISam 'ej
>>yIHoH}.

>again, kill him in public, or drag him into the alley first?

        I don't see the matter to kill him in public or in an alley. The idea consist
in search and kill him, no matter where he is.

__
Eduardo Fonseca || Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Pau Brasil: The brazilian's VGA Planets home page
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2460
Hovmey DIvan

Back to archive top level