tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 25 10:47:36 1997

Re: Whereever he is

-----Original Message-----
From: Eduardo Fonseca <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, December 24, 1997 3:33 PM
Subject: Whereever he is

>    I was looking for a good expression to "kill him whereever he is".
>I thought about something like: ghaHtaHbogh Daq yIHoH, literally: kill him
in
>place which he is.

That looks like "Kill the place which he is," and it's using the funky and
unexplained grammar of {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} from the Appendix of TKD.
It would probably have to be {ghaHtaHbogh DaqDaq yIHoH}, but this is just
too ugly.  I'll avoid this heartily.

>    But here, there is a problem. The Type 9 verbal suffix  -bogh, could
>be translated as << where >> ?

No.  You're going into the territory of {-Daq}.

>    Other sentences I thought but with a bit different were:
>Dat yISam 'ej yIHoH - Find him in everywhere and kill him

Since you don't FIND him everywhere, but simply seek him, I'd say {Dat yInej
'ej yIHoH} "Look for him everywhere and kill him."

>DaSamDI' vaj yIHoH - when you find him then kill him.

Good, but it loses a bit of the "wherever he is" part.  Maybe combine these
two: {Dat yInej.  DaSamDI' yIHoH.} "Look everywhere for him.  When you find
him, kill him."

Here's my own suggestion:

yIHoH.  DaqDaj vISaHbe'.
Kill him.  I don't care about his location.

SuStel
Stardate 97982.9

Back to archive top level