tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 23 12:37:12 1997

Re: KLBC:Web/Warriors

According to Tamise Totterdell:

> *webpage*wIj yISuch  All of you visit my webpage
> DaqDaj:  Its location:   Can I use <Daj> to mean its?

Yes. There are different sections in TKD that list meanings of
{-Daj} and "its" made it in one, but not all of them.

>  http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2461
>
> And to justify this shameless plug,
>
>         SuvwI'pu'
>
> yIqu' SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be fierce
> yIHem SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be proud
> yIHos SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be strong
> yIquv SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be honored

majQa'. That last one sounds a little strange, since being
honored is to be the recipient from someone else of honor. How
you can command this, I'm not sure. It's sort of like an
imperative passive voice. They don't mix all that well.

> Also I have been trying to translate everybody's fave Vulcan saying
>  "Live long and prosper"

This is a frequently visited request.

> to put this to Klingon it should be a command, right? I have come up
> with this <yIyIn 'ej yIchep> But that would mean <live and prosper> and
> as there is no adverb long I can't get it, anyone got any ideas.

Well, to say {yIyInqu'} might tweak the meaning toward something
meaningful to a Klingon, as might replacing {yIyIn} with
{yISIQqu'}. "Endure and prosper." Meanwhile, if you want to
stick to the idea of "live long", you need something like {yIn
nI' yIyIn} or {nI'jaj yInlIj}.

For that matter this is a blessing, right? So {-jaj} is better
than {yI-} to express it. So, I'd go for:

nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej bIchepjaj.

> Qapla' and the compliments of the season.
> --
> qa'SuvwI'

charghwI', taghwI'pu' pabpo' ru'

Back to archive top level