tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 23 12:26:01 1997

Re: KLBC: -vaD

tlhoS bIQapchu'.

According to Scott D. Randel:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 19:42:25 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>
> >> Sormey vI'oSmo' jIjatlh
> >> "Because I represent the trees, I speak."
> >
> >Well, this works fairly well, but you might consider {-meH}
> >instead of {-mo'}. Consider the example: "I speak for the trees
> >because they are endangered."
>
> buQlu'mo' Sormey jIjatlh vI'oSmeH
> "Because the trees are threatened, I speak for the purpose of
> representing them."

You might want to go back to TKD and read the section on {-meH}
and review where it must be placed in a sentence. The {-meH}
clause may modify a noun or a whole sentence (a verb) and its
location is related to which of these functions you wish. In
your example, it doesn't work for either.

Also, as a matter of style, it is good to explicitly state the
object of that first verb. It is stylistically acceptable in
Klingon to restate the noun as many times as needed or you can
leave it out in places, but it is definitely preferable to
state it explicitly the first time so the reader knows what you
are talking about while she reads the rest of your sentence.

You are SOOOO close. Basically, you have all the right words,
but not in the right order, and one of them could be repeated.
Want to try again?

> <snipped lesson>
>
> >So, are you up for the challenge?
>
> HIja' 'a yabwIj 'oy' qay'ghach

The suffix {-ghach} looks extremely weird on verbs without
suffixes (according to Okrand). Recognize that English is very
noun-centric, while Klingon is verb-centric. If you find
yourself reaching for {-ghach} in any but the most exceptional
cases, you are probably not really working well with Klingon
translation. I personally use {-ghach} on average about twice a
year.

Also, {'oy'} has only been used intransitively in canon. Okrand
used {'oy'moH} when he meant what you mean here. Better would
have been {qaDlIjmo' 'oy' yabwIj} or even better {qaDlIjmo'
jIwuQ}. If you are attached to using {qay'}, then try {qay'mo'
qaDlIj, jIwuQ.}

> Scott D. Randel
> tera'ngan thlIngan Hol ghojwI'

charghwI', taghwI'pu' pabpo' ru'.