tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 23 13:12:57 1997

Re: KLBC:Web/Warriors

: Also I have been trying to translate everybody's fave Vulcan saying
:   "Live long and prosper"
: to put this to Klingon it should be a command, right? I have come up
: with this <yIyIn 'ej yIchep> But that would mean <live and prosper> and
: as there is no adverb long I can't get it, anyone got any ideas.
:
: qa'SuvwI'

As unofficial keeper of Klingon canon, I'll slip in here before BG pro tem
charghwI' who will address your grammar.  Marc Okrand appears to have
translated this twice:

  yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep  (_Radio Times_ 8/96)

Leonard Nimoy said this second version on UPN's Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Special. Since Okrand also appeared on the show, it seems likely he
translated it on the set for "Spock":

  yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH

Personally, I think the first has a more Klingon twist to it (i.e. "endure a
long life!").  Unlike Vulcans, Klingon warriors do *not* look forward to a
long, prosperous life but rather a glorious death in battle.

batlh maHeghjaj!

Voragh

Back to archive top level