tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 00:19:36 1997

Re: -Daq

At 17:20 97-12-16 -0800, lawsonse26 wrote:
}
}	I had trouble translating a fairly simple sentance because of the
}fact that the Klingon language doesn't use the word "in" as english does.
}
}I originally wrote:
}
}	jabbI'IDvam qangeH tlhIngonHolDaq
}
}It was meant to be "I have sent you this transmission in the Klingon Language."
}
}According to the -Daq rule it says, "I have send you this transmission in the
}Kingon Language," suggesting that "the Klingon Language" is the place I sent
}the transmission.

Right, and furthermore the locative phrase would have to go at the beginning
of the sentence (see sections 6.1 and 3.3.5).  Also watch your spelling and
spacing: {tlhIngan Hol}.

}That's obviously wrong.  How would you phrase "in Klingon,"
}or, "in cognito," or, "in time."  Do you just have to find a new way to phrase
}it??

Right again.  Don't think in term of words, but in term of concepts.  What
does "in time" mean?  "Before the time is all gone"?  "soon"?  "before I die"?

incognito means "while I am/was/will be wearing a disguise" or "while I am
not recognized" or "while I am acting as someone else"

For "in Klingon" "while I am using Klingon" works, or "in order to compose
({qon}) this transmission, I used the Klingon language."

jabbI'IDvam vIqonmeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level