tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 23:56:58 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy

In article <[email protected]>, Robyn Stewart
<[email protected]> writes
>ghunchu'wI':
>>James Coupe jang Qov:
>>>}nganpu' Hogh tIHoH
>>>It wasn't until I read this out loud to my husband, in puzzlement
>>>at the peculiar method someone was suggesting for conquering a
>>>planet, that I realized you probably meant, "Kill the weak
>>>inhabitants!"
>>
>>I read it as a typo for a misplaced {Hoch}: "Kill all the
>>inhabitants."
>
>jIHagh!!! I did my best not to laugh at what I thought was James'
>mistake but now I'm free to howl at my own. I forgot that the {ch}
>and {gh} keys are adjacent on Klingon keyboards. :-)  ghunchu'wI', I
>want one of those universal translators you have.
>
>> "All the inhabitants" is {Hoch nganpu'}. It's not an average
>> noun-noun construction. Since the second word is explicitly marked
>> as plural, the translation of {Hoch} is "all". But {Hoch ngan},
>> with an unmarked noun, would be translated "each inhabitant" or
>> "every inhabitant".
>
>Correct of course.
>
>If you aren't sure that your sentence is understandable,
>please provide an English translation.  I'll give you more help,
>faster when I'm sure I know what you meant.

Okay, so can I say:

Hoch nganpu' tIHoH, vaj yaymaj lutmey tIja'

which is supposed to say:

"Kill all of the inhabitants, then tell stories of our victory"

Can I use *vaj* as a conjunction like this?  Just like "and"?

I actually wanted to say:

"then sing songs of our victory"

but I can't find sing or song in the vocab lists or the new words list.

Are they in KGT because if they are I may have to consider trying to
find a copy of it somewhere in England (I hope it's been released here)?

--

James Coupe (remove some crap to reply)

Pah!! I hope it shits in your jogging suit!

Back to archive top level