tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 21:13:19 1997

Re: [KLBC] wo' mung

ja' Qov:

>Let me see if I can articulate some parsing rules.  These are purely
>empirical.
>
>1. Every syllable begins with exactly one consonant followed by a
>vowel. (Sounds like {gh} {tlh} {ch} count as one consonant each.)
>This means that a syllable never begins with two or more
>consonants and never begins with a vowel.

I know how you hate nitpicking, Qov, but I think it's worth pointing
out the one syllable we know of that *does* start with a vowel: the
noun suffix {-oy} (TKD page 174).

>2. The only pairs of consonants that occur at the end of syllables
>are {rgh} {y'} and {w'}.
>
>3. Letters are not dropped if doubled, or if hard to say next to one
>another. {chaw'} + {'egh} = {chaw''egh} NOT {*chaw'egh}.  (Nitpickers
>can think of one exception to this rule, but let's not confuse the
>issue).

Awww, can't we confuse it just a little?  Please?  ;-)

>(Note that {'} is a consonant and {y} and {w} count as a consonant,
>for the purpose of the above rules.)

These certainly count as consonants -- because that's how they're
defined in TKD. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level