tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 10:24:22 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy

ghunchu'wI':
>James Coupe jang Qov:
>>}nganpu' Hogh tIHoH
>>It wasn't until I read this out loud to my husband, in puzzlement
>>at the peculiar method someone was suggesting for conquering a
>>planet, that I realized you probably meant, "Kill the weak
>>inhabitants!"
>
>I read it as a typo for a misplaced {Hoch}: "Kill all the
>inhabitants."

jIHagh!!! I did my best not to laugh at what I thought was James'
mistake but now I'm free to howl at my own. I forgot that the {ch}
and {gh} keys are adjacent on Klingon keyboards. :-)  ghunchu'wI', I
want one of those universal translators you have.

> "All the inhabitants" is {Hoch nganpu'}. It's not an average
> noun-noun construction. Since the second word is explicitly marked
> as plural, the translation of {Hoch} is "all". But {Hoch ngan},
> with an unmarked noun, would be translated "each inhabitant" or
> "every inhabitant".

Correct of course.

If you aren't sure that your sentence is understandable,
please provide an English translation.  I'll give you more help,
faster when I'm sure I know what you meant.

Robyn Stewart                     [email protected]
NLK Technical Library  ph. (604) 689-0344 fax (604) 443-1000
NLK Consultants Inc. 855 Homer Street, Vancouver BC  V6B 5S2

Back to archive top level