tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 21:05:32 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy

-----Original Message-----
From: Qov <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, December 16, 1997 3:45 AM
Subject: RE: KLBC: Short and Easy

>majQa'.  Good use of the vocabulary. I suggest {Qol} instead of {jol}:
>compare the meanings and decide for yourself. {Qol} is in the appendix: you
>might have missed it.
>
>}> chay' yuQvam wIchargh?
>}mabavlI'. ghorDaq QaSma' wIjol. yuQ rewbe'pu' DIjey.

Lawrence, Alan, and I were discussing this the other day.  I expressed
concern that people see {Qol} and tend to assume that it is the opposite of
{jol}.  It is not.  {jol} is "beam aboard."  {Qol} is "beam away."  Neither
one is "beam down."

We have seen {Qol} used.  The commandant of Rura Penthe, after seeing Kirk
and McCoy beamed away, tells General Chang {Qollu'ta'}.  The subtitle says,
"They were beamed aboard a Federation Starship" (which, literally, would be
{DIvI' 'ejDo'Daq lujollu'ta'}).  I would venture that {Qol} means that
someone beams somewhere, and wherever it is they go, they started from the
speaker's location (or from a {-vo'} noun specified).

Whichever verb you decide to use, remember that {Qol} and {jol} are not
opposites.

SuStel
Stardate 97959.8

Back to archive top level