tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 11:29:29 1997

Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj vIlo'be'

ghItlh Qov

> At 11:20 97-12-15 -0800, Doneq wrote:
> }jabbI'IDvam vIghItlhmeH mu'ghomHomwIj vIlo'be'.
> }I don't use my dictionary to write this message.
>
> majQa'!  bItlhetlhbej.
>
> }pabbogh jabbI'ID QaQ vIghItlh 'e' vInID.
> }I try to write a good message which follow the rules.
>
> {qon} is more appropriate than {ghItlh} here, because it is the composition
> of the message, not the physical writing of it that is the challenge.  Marc
> Okrand explained in an issue of HolQeD that {ghItlh} represents the physical
> making of marks, while {qon} is used to describe the act of composing words
> into meaning.

Hmm, I forgot about that one. I *know* {qon} is better, but I keep
forgetting it. :(

> }tujqa' 'e' vItul.
> }I hope it get warm again.
>
> If the "it" in this sentence refers back to {muD}, no problem.  If it the
> indefinite subject that performs the action in English "it's cold" or "it's
> raining," then I suggest using the indefinite subject marker {-lu'}:
> {bIrlu'qa'}.  This usage isn't certain, we don't know how Klingons talk
> about the weather.

Maybe they don't :)

> }'ach qaStaHvIS poH nI' *winter* 'oHtaHmo' tujqa'be'.
> }But it won't because it'll be winter for a long time.
>
> You're thinking in English here. "It will be winter."  What is "it"?  There
> is no it.  It's an English idiom.  Perhaps:
>
> qaStaHvIS poH nI' taHmo' *winter* tujqa'be'.
> OR
> nI'taHvIS poH *winter* vISIQnISmo' tugh tujqa'be'.

That's a really tricky one. The first sentence I thought it was
better to use {muD}, and then I forgot it again (just like {qon} :)

> }ram 'oHtaH 'ej Do' juHwIjDaq tuj.
> }It's night and fortunately it's warm in my house.
>
> There's that "it" again.  Twice. :)  First clause looks more like "it's
> trivial."
>
> Perhaps {DaH taH ram}.  Maybe you can think of something better.
{tagh ram} or {taghpu' ram}, maybe

> }*Christmas* wIlopmeH *France*Daq maleng.
> }We go to France to celebrate Christmas.
>
> Or: "we travel in France"
In fact, we do. We travel *to* France, but we're travelling to
somewhere in the middle of France. So we'll be travelling *in*
France, too. Ah, how nice that ambiguity can sometimes be :)

> }*France*Daq juppu' law' wIghaj.
> }We have many friends in France.
>
> {DIghaj}.  Gets you every time until you learn it.
Just like {lu-}, qar'a'? :)

> majQa'. Doneq, qaStaHvIS jar 'ar tlhIngan Hol DaHaD?  BG vIDataHvIS
> Dataghlaw', qar'a'?  yIHem. ghItlhlIj vIyajlaHchu'. bIqontaHvIS tlhIngan Hol
> neH Dalo' 'e' vIchaw'.   jIHlIjDaq tlhIngan Hol neH yIlo' 'ej yablIjDaq
> tlhIngan Hol neH yIlo' bIqontaHvIS.

*April 1997* tlhIngan Hol vIHaD 'e' vItagh, vaj chorgh jarmey
tlhIngan Hol vIHaDlI'. qaSpu'DI' 'op jarmey (*), *Internet*
vIghajchoH, 'ej jabbI'IDghomvam vIlaDchoH. qaSpu'DI' 'op jarmey (*),
qaStaHvIS *vacation* (**), jabbI'IDghomvamvaD jabbI'IDmey vIqonchoH.

Holmey vIHaDlaHbej; DuSaQDaq loS Holmey vIghoj 'ej vIHaD. Holmey
vIparHa', 'ej *Hov leng* vIparHa', vaj tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH.

(*): Is this the right use of {'op}? Should I leave out the {-mey}
after {jar}?
(**): I didn't know a really good word for vacation. {QI'lop} is a
specific holiday, and such holidays usually cover only one day
(unfortunately :), sometimes two (at least, on Earth). {ghIQ} is a
verb, which doesn't fit in the sentence, and doesn't quite mean the
thing I want to say. I think it has something to do with *going* on a
vacation (e.g. to the mountains, or to the sea, or whatever),
however I stayed home that particular vacation... :)

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

/Doneq
______