tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 17:44:45 1997

Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj vIlo'be'

>}'ach qaStaHvIS poH nI' *winter* 'oHtaHmo' tujqa'be'.
>}But it won't because it'll be winter for a long time.
>
>You're thinking in English here. "It will be winter."  What is "it"?  There
>is no it.  It's an English idiom.  Perhaps:

[it] is a pronoun being used in place of the noun <season> or <weather>

>}ram 'oHtaH 'ej Do' juHwIjDaq tuj.
>}It's night and fortunately it's warm in my house.
>
>There's that "it" again.  Twice. :)  First clause looks more like "it's
>trivial."
>
>Perhaps {DaH taH ram}.  Maybe you can think of something better.

The first [it] is a pronoun replacing the noun for [time] or something along
that idea.  The second [it] is pronoun for [temperature].
The [it's trivial] doesn't work because putting [-taH] on ['oH] makes ['oH]
the verb of the sentence, forcing [ram] to be a noun [night].
BUT, yes; I agree that there is a better way to express this sentence.

You say (here and in past messages) that many uses of [it] in english are
idiom, when I see that many of them are acting as legal pronouns refering to
something.
You have said before that to say [it's raining], we need to use something
like [atmosphere] :  [SIS muD].  Well, ['oH] is a pronoun, it can replace a
noun in a sentence; giving us :  [SIS 'oH]

>...fortunately it's warm in my house.
[Do' juHwIjDaq tuj Hat]  [...the temperature is hot...]  lugh'a'?
[Hat]-noun   ['oH]-pronoun (which can replace nouns)
[Do' juHwIjDaq tuj 'oH]  lugh'a'?
drop the redundant ['oH] brings us back to >Do' juHwIjDaq tuj.

DloraH

Back to archive top level